Summit County, Ohio: Judge Christine Croce announced today she has suspended testimony in the trial State of Ohio v. Stanley Ford.
Amid growing concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic, Judge Croce announced her decision today.
“As we face this unprecedented public health crisis, to continue with the trial between the State of Ohio and Stanley Ford would subject the parties, jurors, and court personnel to unacceptable health risks and therefore, I have suspended testimony in this case until April 1, 2020, “ said Croce.
Croce said her decision was based on health and public safety recommendations by the CDC and the WHO, limiting interaction of groups of 10 or more persons and that people aged 65 and over should limit unnecessary contact with others.
“During testimony in the trial there at a least 27 persons in the courtroom at any given time not counting any spectators, furthermore, there are 3 jurors over the age of 65 and 5 jurors ages 60-65 and I have a duty to take all of this into account during this unprecedented situation we find ourselves in,” stated Croce. “I made this decision out of an abundance of caution and in consideration with the current recommendations of the medical experts,” concluded Croce.
Early next week we will conduct individual conference calls with each juror to check in on their health and any other conflicts they may have.
Evidentiary hearings previously scheduled for this Friday will proceed.
Contact: Susan Sweeney
Assistant Court Executive Officer